Science & Engineering Fair
Students in grades 6-12 in Osceola County.
Schools may hold a competition and then send winning students to the
Osceola County Science & Engineering Fair (OCSEF) regional competition.
School District of Osceola County will host OCSEF in person. Our goal is to capture the creativity and ingenuity of our secondary students as they engage in science and engineering practices to investigate local and global issues.
OCSEF will be held February 8, 2023.
For questions, please contact Kris Rodgers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Timeline to work on your project.
- September 9, 2022 - Complete the next page and turn in it in to your sponsor/teacher. You may NOT begin your project until you have approval from your sponsor/teacher. Once your project is approved, complete the next step.
- September 16, 2022 - Complete the online “Registration Form” form.
- September 30, 2022 or earlier - Get approvals for your Research Plan/Project Summary from your sponsor/teacher.
- Choose an area of science for your project. (There are 13 Categories)
- In that area, select a specific research topic. (Each area has several research areas)
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your project by your school’s science fair date.
- Human and Animal projects require Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval. (from your sponsor/teacher)
- Develop your TESTABLE question. Have your question(s) approved by your school sponsor.
- Develop your Research Plan/Project Summary (Must be completed prior to research).
- The Research Plan/Project summary must include:
- Research Question(s)
- Engineering Goal(s)
- Expected Outcomes
- Detailed descriptions of procedures, risk and safety, and data analysis
- The Research Plan/Project summary must include:
- Complete the appropriate paperwork for your area of research. More information can also be found at these websites:
OCSEF will follow the same procedures for completing the forms for the State and International Science Fairs. District winners who enter the State Science Fair will already have their forms completed.
- September - December 2022
- Begin your research. Be careful to document your procedures and outcomes carefully. In addition, make sure to collect all data, organize it, and decide how to display it best. It is highly recommended to use a composition notebook and pen (blue or black ink) to keep track of everything you do. This notebook will be part of your display.
- If you need materials for your research, you can reach out to Kris Rodgers (email@example.com) or Cynthia Long (Cynthia.firstname.lastname@example.org) for help.
- October - December 2022
- Check in with their sponsor/teacher before preparing a tri-fold display.
- Organize and display your project according to the Display and Safety Rules.
- December 2022-January 2023 – Your school will host a school science fair to determine who will move forward to the OCSEF.
- December 2022 -January 2023 - The sponsor/teacher will ensure all paperwork is completed for district and state submission and your display board is within the safety guidelines and rules.
- February 6-7, 2023
- Take the final product to school for your sponsor/teacher’s final approval.
February 8, 2023 - The District Science Fair - Project Set-Up will begin at 2:30pm. Awards immediately following judging.
April 4-6, 2023 - The State Science & Engineering Fair of Florida will be in Lakeland at the RP Funding Center. Click Here for more information.
This section is due to the sponsor/teacher by September 9, 2022.
Name: ___________________________________ Grade: ______ School: __________________________
What area of science do you want to research? _________________________________________________
What is the specific research topic in the area? _________________________________________________
Develop a TESTABLE question: Remember, you only have 2 weeks to complete the experiment. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Develop a hypothesis for the experiment: ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
List any materials you will need for your project: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Develop an outline you will follow during the experiment including:
- your research procedures
- the materials you will use in each step
- how you will gather data
- how you will analyze data
- how you will organize the data for display on your board,
- your expected conclusions and outcomes,
- the questions you might have at the end of your research
Add an additional page if necessary.
Parent Consent and Agreement: (Please print)
I, ______________________________, agree for my child, ______________________________, to participate in the Osceola County Science & Engineering Exhibition and the State Science & Engineering Fair if they win district level. I will support my child with purchasing materials and transportation to and from the competition sites. The State Fair will be in Lakeland, Florida on April 4-6, 2023.
Sign: ________________________________________ Phone: __________ Email: _______________________