What are the responsibilities of parents?
As required by Section 1002.41, F.S., to establish a home education program and maintain compliance with the statute, a parent must:
- Send a written notice of intent to the school district superintendent.
- Maintain a portfolio of records, consisting of a log of educational activities, writings, worksheets, and creative materials used or developed by the student
- Make the portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon a 15-day notice. (The legislation does not require the superintendent to inspect all portfolios.)
- Provide an annual educational evaluation for the student’s educational process to the school district superintendent.
- Preserve each student’s portfolio for two years.
- Submit a letter of termination upon completion of the home education program or change of residence.