Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am a Veteran. How do I receive my entitlement for my education?
    You must complete the necessary forms in the Financial Aid Office. Once enrolled in an approved program by the State Approving Agency, the VA Certifying Official will certify your enrollment after your first day of class and it will take a minimum of four to eight weeks to activate your VA benefits.
    What financial assistance do you offer (Federal/State Funding, if available)?
    Federal Pell Grant, Florida Student Assistance Grant, Florida Work Experience Program, Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, Florida Trust Fund (FTF), Florida Student Assistance (FSAG), school and community scholarships and installment plans. We also accept Veterans Affairs (VA) funding program.
    When should I apply for Financial Aid?
    It is recommended that your financial aid file be complete by two weeks prior to the anticipated enrollment date.
    How do I apply for Financial Aid?
    You will need to complete the Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Use your previous year's tax return and W2's and/or untaxed income (unemployment, child support, etc.). You can find the FAFSA form at
    Can I use my own income?
    Yes, if you have children for whom you provide 50% or more support, are married, are a ward of the court, or have been in the military you can use your own income or your spouse's income if married.
    I live on my own. Do I need my parents' information?
    Whether or not you live with your parents, if you are under 24 years old, your parents must complete the parent's income information on the FAFSA form with their most recent tax return and W2's and/or untaxed income (unemployment, child support, etc.). You and your parent's signatures are required for processing.
    What is our school code for the FAFSA form?
    Our school code is 031279.
    How long does the FAFSA form process take?
    Normally, one week by Internet (online) if appropriate signatures are submitted.

    My Student Aid Report (SAR) says I was selected for a process called "verification". What does this mean?
    The Federal Government has selected you for verification. You must submit your most recent income tax return and W2's (or that of your parents or spouse, if applicable) and/or untaxed income (unemployment, child support, etc.),  and complete a verification worksheet provided in the Financial Aid Office (appropriate signatures are required). Other documentation may be required to complete your financial aid file. NOTE: The school has the authority to select a student for verification as well.
    What if my Student Aid Report (SAR) is incorrect?
    We recommend going online to correct your errors or bringing your SAR into the Financial Aid Office for review and we can make the corrections if needed. Appropriate documentation and signatures are required.
    What does the Federal Pell Grant defer before receiving aid?
    Tuition, lab fees, books/materials (if applicable), and industry certification/licensure exams ONLY. If you need assistance with books, supplies and uniforms you may seek help through Career Source Central Florida or Vocational Rehabilitation if you qualify. Please ask the financial aid staff for more information.
    Do I qualify for the Federal Pell Grant if I owe Federal funds or are in default of a student loan?
    No, you must resolve your debt before receiving additional Pell funds.
    How can I get information about my financial aid award?
    Due to the FERPA Privacy Act, only general information can be given over the phone to the student. However, you may come to the Financial Aid Office to get information about your financial aid award.
    What do I need to do to maintain my financial aid award?
    Specific satisfactory academic and attendance progress requirements have been established in accordance with federal and state guidelines. Students must maintain satisfactory academic and attendance progress requirements to retain financial aid eligibility.
    Are there any consequences to my financial aid if I withdraw from classes?
    Yes, see the Financial Aid Office immediately before withdrawing from class to see if you have any outstanding fees. Since a Return of Title IV Funds must be calculated, any outstanding fees are your responsibility.
    How will my tuition and lab fees be paid and what happens to the money that exceeds my tuition and lab fees?
    Tech Center tuition is calculated based on individual program clock hours. After you start the program your financial aid award will be applied to your tuition and lab fees based on your attendance. (Keep in mind if your financial aid award does not cover all your tuition and lab fees then the remaining balance will be your responsibility). Any remaining money, after tuition and lab fees are paid, will be available in the form of a check to the student.
    Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?
    Yes, you must reapply for financial aid every award year.
    What other financial aid is available to a student who does not qualify for federal aid?
    If you do not qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, you may qualify for the Florida Student Assistant Grant, Florida Work Experience Program (two state grants), or SFAF (using the current household income).
    What is considered household income?
    Household income is the current income for the student determined using three current pay stubs. If the student does not have income and lives with one or both parents, the parental current income is used.

    What if I do not qualify for any financial aid assistance?
    You may apply for the Installment Plan (two or three installments based on the policy of Osceola Technical College). The student must demonstrate need by completing the FAFSA form.

    What is FTF?
    Florida Trust Fund are funds that assist students with tuition and approved lab fees. These funds are limited and are on a first come first serve basis. The student must demonstrate need by completing the FAFSA form.

    Does Osceola Technical College accept scholarships?
    If you have been awarded a scholarship from a business or community agency, you will need to bring the scholarship letter to the Financial Aid Office for submission to the Business Office.

    What is an Emergency Fund?
    This fund assists a student in immediate need. Students must meet certain requirements to obtain assistance. These funds are donated from individuals or fundraisers and are generally very limited in nature.