During the summer months it’s important for us to focus on Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw. Habit 7 is all about renewal, continuous improvement, and balance. It's about preserving and enhancing the greatest asset we have; ourselves. But renewal shouldn’t just occur during the summer or when we have time for vacation. We must schedule the time to Sharpen the Saw daily. The common paradigm is to think that I'm too busy today to take time for myself. When this thinking happens, it affects every decision we make during the day. When we take time to renew ourselves, it improves the quality and effectiveness of every other part of our day and makes all other habits possible. It's all about regularly renewing the four dimensions of our nature: body, mind, heart, and spirit.
Body: Exercise, nutrition, rest, stress management
- Options to build your physical capacity
- Get the amount of sleep you know your body needs.
- Set health and fitness goals
- Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fiber, and lots of water in your diet.
- Create a multi-dimensional exercise routine.
Mind: Reading, writing, learning, study
- Options to build your mental capacity
- Keep a journal to collect your thoughts and space to work out problems.
- Collect quotations that inspire you and stimulate your mind.
- Develop a hobby that allows you to do something you love.
Heart: Consistent deposits into the Emotional Bank Accounts of others
- Options to build your social/emotional capacity
- Keep your relationships in constant repair through continual deposits in to the Emotional Bank Account
- Value the differences in others and look for opportunities to Synergize.
- Build on strengths of your own and others.
- Widen your circle of friends.
- Forgive yourself and others who may have hurt you.
- Build family relationships - both immediate and extended.
Spirit: Service, values, clarification, inspirational literature, meditation, nature
- Options to build your spiritual capacity
- Create, review, and refine your Personal Mission Statement.
- Appreciate and enjoy the world of nature.
- Read inspirational literature or biographies of people who inspire you.
- Commit to a life of total integrity to your priorities and deepest values.
- Listen to inspirational, uplifting music.
- Commit to serve in your family and community. Give of your time, money, and self.
Scott P. Knoebel
Scott P. Knoebel