If you are interested in becoming a weekly tutor, guest speaker, or would like more information about the AVID program at St. Cloud High School, please contact:
Jamie Domres, AVID Coordinator
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is a college readiness system that prepares students for college eligibility and success. It is a global nonprofit organization that operates with one guiding principle: Hold students accountable to the highest standards, provide academic and social support, and they will rise to the challenge.
AVID is a systematic approach designed to support students and educators as they increase school-wide/district-wide learning and performance. AVID is not a remedial class, nor is it a study hall for students. It is a college readiness system where students must learn and apply the skills they are taught in their AVID elective class as well as do the academically rigorous and challenging work required. This rigor includes taking at least one Honors/AP/DE or Industry Certification.
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. It is designed to ensure all students:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- Enter mainstream activities of the school
- Enroll in college
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in their communities and our society
- Students with a desire to attend four year college
- Students with a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Score a minimum high level 2 on FSA reading and math
- No attendance or discipline problems
- Willing to commit to enrollment of a rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses including at least one Honors/AP/DE or Industry Certification
- Must be a voluntary decision by the student, not solely the parent
- Must complete an application, participate in an oral interview, and attend an informational meeting
- A willingness to participate in collaborative groups, tutorials, field trips, and motivational activities
- Must maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
- Must maintain the AVID binder with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
- Must maintain GPA of 2.0 or higher
AVID @ St. Cloud High School
AVID students at St. Cloud High School are selected based on the above criteria. AVID is an elective class provided throughout all 4 years of high school where students are required to take at least one Honors/AP/DE or Industry Certification. Through AVID they will learn valuable skills, such as writing, note taking, reading, inquiry, collaboration, organization, critical thinking, that will help them succeed in more rigorous courses. AVID-trained tutors facilitate weekly small group student tutorial sessions. Through AVID at St. Cloud High School, our students visit colleges and universities to learn about academic requirements, classes, programs, opportunities and collegiate life. They also attend career fairs, college fairs and participate in team building activities. Guest speakers, including professionals in various career fields, are invited to come in and inspire our students. We also believe in the power of support. AVID hosts special events such as AVID Family Night and AVID student activities to reinforce team building efforts.
For more information about AVID, visit the AVID National Web site at www.avid.org.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at SDOC AVID.