Community Service Information
How to Document Community Service
Class of 2022 and after use the following community service form.
Submit your completed and signed forms to Mrs. Barton, located in the Guidance Office.
Community Service Hours Guidelines
What are the requirements for community service?
- Students must perform volunteer services on their own time, which can include lunch breaks and after school.
- Fundraising for non-profit organizations or charities is acceptable.
- Service may be volunteered to the school and/or the community.
- Service may be performed for profit-making organizations ONLY if they are institutions like hospitals or nursing homes.
- Volunteer work for a religious or political organization will ONLY count as volunteer hours if, for example, your church youth group helps with the
- Special Olympics or the political organization promotes non-partisan activities, such as voter registration.
- Vacation Bible School and working in the church nursery are acceptable.
What does NOT count towards community service?
- Service rendered as a prerequisite for employment.
- Service performed for a student's family, neighbors, or friends or for profit-making organizations.
- Attendance at self-improvement workshops, conferences, or competitions.
- Service performed a s result of disciplinary action taken by the school or courts.
- Participation in Varsity or Junior Varsity athletics, or regularly scheduled band or chorus performances.
- Common activities such as acolyte, altar server, lay reader, church choir and clerical work for religious organizations.
- Any paid service
- Volunteer service work involving academic requirements for a class
*The above criteria will not cover all circumstances. If a question exists regarding the acceptance of an activity for volunteer service, the student's school counselor should approve the service prior to the student's participation.
Potential Community Service Locations
- McCormick Institute
- St. Cloud Food Pantry
- St. Cloud Public Library
- Animal shelters
- Any Non-Profit Organization (ex., Kiwanas, Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, etc)