All NeoCity Academy students may access the MakerLab once they have completed the Safety Orientation. The Safety Orientation will give users a basic overview of safety requirements for the MakerLab.
Additional certification courses will be offered throughout the course of the year and may be required before the use of certain MakerLab tools are allowed.
Our MakerLab has a Safety Plan in place. All certified staff are trained on the Safety Plan and all users are required to complete the Safety Orientation to access the MakerLab. Staff member supervision is required when the MakerLab is occupied by students.
Students will recieve a MakerLab badge once then complete the Safety Orientation. The MakerLab badges identify the tools available in the lab. Students must certify and receive a badge bunch in order to use specific tools. This process is explained in detail during the Safety Orientation.
SAFE WORKS PROCEDURES
Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Based upon hazards that are present, the following PPE must be worn when working in a Restricted Area or using Restricted Equipment:
- Whenever powered equipment or hazardous substances are present, appropriate face and/or eye protection must be worn.
- Gloves and other hand protection may be required based on hazards present.
The following personal safety protocols are in place for the MakerLab:
- Open-toed shoes, sandals, scarves and loose-fitting clothing is NOT PERMITTED in any MakerLab Restricted Areas.
- Long and medium hair length must be tied back, when working with flames, sparks, rotating powered rools or other entagling equipment.
- Remove all jewelry before working in a Restricted Area.
- Staff supervision is always required when students are in the MakerLab.
Equipment, Facility and Material Hazards
- Always consider electrical equipment to compressed air equipment "energized" until positively proven otherwise.
- Learn and know how to shut down equipment in an emergency BEFORE operating.
- Plan for safety by looking for hazards and anticipating problems.
- NEVER reach beyond machine guards.
- Notify a staff member of equipment not operating properly so that it may be locked out.
The work and surrounding areas in which you are working must be kept neat, clean and safe at all times. If you see a mess, spill, or debris, whether you created it or not, take the time to clean it up.
Mr. Jose Martinez
MakerLab Opens on October 12, 2020.
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
- 07:00 AM - 10:55 AM
- 11:45 AM - 02:10 PM
- 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- 11:45 AM - 02:10 PM
Hours are subject to change.