What is Ascend?
The more competitive the college/university, the more specific the requirements are for admission. Preparing for admission to the top colleges and universities in the country requires extra support, specific coursework, leadership and service both in and out of the school community, top test scores, and more.
Poinciana High School's Ascend Academy is for students who are focused on ascending to new heights in their high school education. Ascend is a program designed to help students not only earn the AP Capstone Diploma, but work toward admission to a top 100 college or university in the country.
The AP Capstone Diploma program was designed by CollegeBoard, and equips students with the independent research, collaborative teamwork, and communication skills valued by colleges. It cultivates curious, independent, and collaborative scholars and prepares them to make logical, evidence-based decisions.
AP Capstone is comprised of two courses – AP Seminar and AP Research – and is designed to complement and enhance discipline specific study in other AP courses. It allows students to engage in unique research opportunities and to master argument-based writing skills that the AP Capstone Diploma program develops.
Connect with Ascend
Follow us on Instagram at phs_ascendacademy! You can also follow the hashtag #PHSAscendAcademy.
Check out the latest version of the Ascend newsletter for current students at https://www.smore.com/31qzm
Join the Ascend Academy
Students interested in joining Ascend should chat with their School Counselor at Poinciana High School. Please contact the program coordinator, Mrs. Malfara, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opportunity to take advanced coursework tailored to your interests and strengths competitive with college applicants worldwide
- Cohort-model used for ACT/SAT testing and common classes (when possible)
- 1:1 support and advising directed toward top 100 admission with College & Career Counselor and School Counselor
- Programming and events designed specifically for top 100 admission
The 4-Year Plan
Click here to learn about how to make the most of each year of high school as you prepare for top college admission.
Our first Ascend class graduated in 2021. Since then, our Ascend graduates have been accepted to the following top 100 schools (in alphabetical order):
Case Western Reserve University
Florida State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
New York University
Pennsylvania State University
University of Florida
Washington University in St. Louis
Other notable, competitive college admissions (in alphabetical order):
Florida Institute of Technology
Florida Polytechnic University
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Savannah College of Art and Design
Congratulations to the Class of 2022!
Upcoming Ascend & Ascend-Related Events
Click here for a look at all college and career events from Poinciana High School and the School District of Osceola County.
Past Ascend & Ascend-Related Events
September 7, 2022: Coast to Coast College Tour - Berkeley, Dartmouth, Northwestern, Princeton, and Vanderbilt, 7 pm. Free, virtual event. Advanced registration is required. Register at https://www.coasttocoasttour.org/
September 7, 2022: College & Career Corner QuestBridge presentation, 6 pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
September 13, 2022: Florida State University Care Program visit & presentation, 9 am, PHS auditorium. Juniors and seniors in Ascend, Osceola Scholars, and AVID only.
September 14, 2022: College & Career Corner Ivy League Colleges presentation, 6 pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
September 26, 2022: ScholarTrek College Fair, 8:30-10 am, PHS gymnasium. Seniors who register at https://forms.office.com/r/kt9DU0AVdC by 11:59 pm on 9/22, sophomores and juniors in Ascend, AVID and Osceola Scholars, and freshmen Osceola Scholars only.
- All students attending event must pre-register at https://app.strivescan.com/students?tag=scholartrek to receive a QR code to enter the fair.
- The ScholarTrek College Fair features representatives from the University of Central Florida (UCF), New York Film Academy, Rollins College, Saint Leo University, University of South Florida (USF), Universal Technical Institute (UTI), University of South Alabama, Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Florida Institute of Technology (FIT), Florida International University (FIU), Florida Southern College, Lynn University, Florida State University (FSU), New College of Florida, Florida Memorial University (FMU), Keiser University, New York Institute of Technology, Nova Southeastern University, Verto Education, Utah State University, Herzing University, Fisher College, The Citadel, Webber International University, the University of Miami (UM), military representatives, and more.
September 28, 2022: Coast to Coast College Tour - Berkeley, Dartmouth, Northwestern, Princeton, and Vanderbilt, 8 pm. Free, virtual event. Advanced registration is required. Register at https://www.coasttocoasttour.org/
September 28, 2022: College & Career Corner Financial Aid & Scholarships, 6pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
October 5, 2022: Middlebury College visit & presentation, 9 am, College & Career Center (room 276). Juniors and seniors in Osceola Scholars and Ascend only.
October 5, 2022: College & Career Corner Sunrise Scholars, 6pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
October 12, 2022: College & Career Corner FAFSA Live Session, 6pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
October 19, 2022: College & Career Corner Dual Enrollment Session, 6pm. Free, virtual event. Learn more about this event and how to access it in the Virtual Events column here.
October 26, 2022: College Knowledge Night in the media center. Doors open at 5:30 pm for light refreshments and tabling. The formal event starts at 6:30 pm.
College admission requires much more than the basics of a high school diploma. Students in all grades (especially 9th and 10th) are strongly encouraged to attend with their families. You can view the Ascend breakout session here.
- Give Kids the World is tabling to share volunteer opportunities
- Valencia College is tabling to share information on AS degrees, AA degrees, Accelerated Skills Training programs, and financial aid
- A representative from UCF will present on preparing for the college transition
- RSVP at https://forms.office.com/r/Rx9XUtHDJL
- Click here for the College Knowledge Night flyer (Spanish)
- Click here for a sneak peak at the College Knowledge Night agenda and sessions (Spanish)
January 25, 2023: Sunrise Scholars Foundation visit, 2nd period, all Ascend juniors.