FHSAA GPA Requirements
Osceola School District offers a wide variety of athletic opportunities. A student shall be eligible during the first semester of their ninth-grade year provided that it is the student’s first entry in the ninth grade and they were regularly promoted from the eighth grade the immediate preceding year. After the first semester, all eligibility rules will apply. In order for a student to be eligible to participate in athletics, they must: Florida High School Athletic Association Logo
1.) Be a registered student carrying a full credit load,
2.) Maintain an overall 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 unweighted scale
3.) Must not turn 19 before Sept 1 and
4.) May not be enrolled for more then 8 semesters, and
5.) Have passed a pre-participation physical each year.
See full list below:
ATTENTION STUDENT AND PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S)
Your school is a member of the Florida High School Athletics Association (FHSAA) and follows established rules. To be eligible to represent your school in interscholastic athletics, the student:
- This form is non-transferable; a separate form must be completed for each different school at which the student participates.
- Must be regularly enrolled and in regular attendance at your school. If the student is a home education student or attends a charter school or Florida Virtual School - Full Time Program or a special/alternative school or certain small non-member private schools, the student must declare in writing his/her intention to participate in athletics to the school at which the student is permitted to participate. Home education students and students attending small non-member private schools must be approved through the use of a separate form prior to any participation. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.2, Policy 16 and Administrative Procedure 1.8)
- Must attend school within 10 days of the beginning of each semester to be eligible during that semester. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.2)
- Must maintain at least a cumulative 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 unweighted scale prior to the semester in which the student wishes to participate. This GPA must include all courses taken since the student entered high school. A sixth, seventh or eighth grade student must have earned at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 unweighted scale the previous semester. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.4)
- Must not have graduated from any high school or its equivalent. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.4)
- Must not have enrolled in the ninth grade for the first time more than four school years ago. If the student is a sixth, seventh or eighth grade student, the student must not participate if repeating that grade. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.5)
- Must have signed permission to participate from the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) on a form provided by the school. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.8)
- Must not turn 19 before September 1st, otherwise the student becomes ineligible to participate. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.6)
- Must undergo a pre-participation physical evaluation and be certified as being physically fit for participation in interscholastic athletics. (SDOC Form FC-600-1970)
- Must be an amateur. This means the student must not accept money, gift or donation for participating in a sport, or use a name other than his/her own when participating. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.9)
- Must not participate in an all-star contest in a sport prior to completing his/her high school eligibility in that sport. (FHSAA Policy 26)
- Must display good sportsmanship and follow the rules of competition before, during and after every contest in which the student participates. If not, the student may be suspended from participation for a period of time. (FHSAA Bylaw 7.1)
- Must not provide false information to his/her school or the FHSAA to gain eligibility. (FHSAA Bylaw 9.1)
- Youth exchange, other international and immigrant students must be approved by the FHSAA office prior to any participation. Exceptions may apply. See your school’s principal/athletic director. (FHSAA Policy 17)
- Must refrain from hazing/bullying while a member of an athletic team or while participating in any athletic activities sponsored by or affiliated with a member school.
School District of Osceola County, Florida
16. In the event a fine is imposed by the FHSAA on any school, coach, assistant coach or district employee, student athlete, or school athletic booster club member, no District funds, including internal accounts, shall be used to pay the fine without requiring reimbursement from the responsible person(s).
17. Students are required to have a cleared ECG screening prior to any participation.
18. Students transferring schools will need to adhere to the High School Good Cause procedures for extracurricular activity.