Prior to Loading the Bus
- Stand at least 5 giant steps (10 feet) away from the edge of the road.
- Wait until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says it’s okay before stepping onto the bus.
- Be careful that clothing with drawstrings and book bags with straps or dangling objects do not get caught in the handrail or door when exiting the bus.
- Walk in front of the bus; never walk behind the bus.
- Walk on the sidewalk or along the side of the road to a point at least five giant steps (10 feet) ahead.
- Be sure the bus driver can see you, and you can see the bus driver.
- Stop at the edge of the bus and look left-right-left before crossing.
- Tell the bus driver if you drop something beside the bus. Should you try to pick it up, the bus driver may not see you and drive away.
After leaving the bus:
- If the student must cross the road after leaving bus, he or she shall wait for the driver’s thumbs up signal before crossing in front of the bus.
- If a student lives on the side of the road on which the bus stops, he or she shall move away from the bus immediately after getting off.
- Student should maintain a 10-foot separation between themselves and the bus.
- Students will be dropped off only at their designated bus stops.
While on the Bus
- Always sit fully in the seat and face forward
- DO NOT distract the driver
- Never stand on a moving bus
- Obey the driver
- Speak in a low voice
- NEVER stick anything out the window - arms, legs, head, bookbags, etc