Many careers require training obtained through college degrees and trade and technical certificates. There is a training program or degree pathway for everyone that can meet your talents, skills, and career goals.
Who chooses college? Students who:
- Wish to pursue academic studies in an intellectual environment beyond the high school level;
- Plan to pursue a career or employment opportunity that requires college-level training and skill development;
- Want to increase their earning potential;
- Seek a higher quality of life for themselves and their families;
- Wish to meet new people, explore new interests, and experience success in a college setting; and/or
- Desire the social and/or career status and mobility often associated with a college education.
Who chooses a technical or trade school? Students who:
- Want to focus on career-focused, practical training right away;
- Enjoy working with their hands; and/or
- Want to get into the workforce faster.
Both pathways can lead to prosperous, in-demand careers. Students can choose the best path for them, or even combine both types of education!
Types of Colleges & Universities
Florida's 2 + 2 System
Florida is nationally recognized for its highly effective articulation between and among institutions. Students can begin their postsecondary studies at a Florida college and, after earning a 2-year associate degree, transfer to a 4-year degree program at a state university, a Florida college that offers 4-year programs, or a private university.
Students who choose to transfer to a state university are guaranteed admission, although not necessarily to the university or program of their choice. About 40% of juniors and seniors in the state universities began their postsecondary studies at a Florida college.